- It is the Savior given, and the Savior who gave.
- His body broken;
- His blood, the price paid.
- To make atonement to God.
- To save this sinner.
- Mercy and Truth have met together,
Righteousness and Peace have kissed each other (Ps. 85:10).
- (John 3:14-15; Num. 21:6-9) To everyone, who, as a guilty, helplessly, deservedly dying sinner, looks in faith to Christ crucified as all of their life and whose life Christ forever is,
- He now says, “Take. Eat. This is my body, broken for you. This cup is the New Testament in my blood, which is shed for you” (Matt. 26:27-28; Mark 14:22-23; Luke 22:19-20; 1 Cor. 11:24-25; Heb. 13:20).
- Shed for me?! Oh! Blessed union with Christ I see (John 6:56)!
- Eternal Salvation and blessings in Christ! Most sovereign, most gracious, most loving and free!
- Because He said, “This do…” (1 Cor. 11:24-25).
- To remember Him who gave Himself as my sin-bearing substitute to God, to satisfy God, to fulfill and magnify His law, to fulfill all covenant conditions and put His everlasting covenant into force, to save His Church, to present her to Himself with incomprehensible joy, to have her, to make His glory known by His salvation of her. He remembered His covenant for me (Luke 1:72). Now, I, who am a great sinner and nothing at all, remember Jesus Christ my blessed Mediator as my all in all.
- To declare by virtue of my covenant union with Christ, that He lived and died and now lives for me (Rom. 5:10; Heb. 7:25; Rom. 8:34; Eph. 3:16-19). He is all my salvation. He is all my life. All my desire and every blessing is in Him (2 Sam. 23:5; Ps. 73:25; Eph. 1:3). The administration of His kingdom is according to His everlasting covenant, put into force by His blood (Heb. 9:15; Matt. 26:28; Eph. 1:10).
His body broken; His blood, the price paid.
To save this sinner, atonement to God.
Mercy and truth, righteousness and peace,
Kissed each other; He now says, Take and Eat.
This is my body, broken for you;
This cup, the New Testament in my blood,
Shed for me?! Bless'd union with Christ I see!
Eternal Salvation, all blessings in Christ!
Grace unfathomable, most loving,
Most sovereign, most rich and all free